Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Longue Vue House and Gardens - A Day Trip 1

Last week I visited Longue Vue House and Gardens with my sis. We made a day of it, taking pictures and stopping for lunch afterward. Even though the day began with rain, it soon cleared and we had a wonderful time exploring the grounds. Many things impressed me about the home and gardens. One of those things was the fact that the huge oaks that lined the drive leading up to the house had at one time been wired to train the branches to arch over the drive and frame the house. This amazed me. I have seen small trees shaped using this method and I have played around with bonsai but I never would have suspected that such techniques would have been applied to these majestic oaks.

One of the spots I liked best in the garden was a small brick reading nook I found by a lily pond. Inside I found a weathered wood bench and bookcase. Above the bench was a wood carving of Puss n Boots dueling with a wolf. Sitting on the bench and looking out through the window and doors provided me a view with a view of a wild and beautiful place where anything might happen. Even an encounter with the infamous Puss n Boots would have been believable. I was unable to get the text and pictures to work together so I have included them in the next entry. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them. If you ever have a chance to check out Longue Vue House and Gardens, it will be well worth your time.

RW

4 comments:

BethanyC said...

I thought the tree wiring was interesting too.

Chiang Guy said...

I would love to see Longue Vue House and Gardens myself. Maybe someday.

wizardress said...

I love the background you have on your blog- it's so pretty- I would have loved to been able to tag along with y'all. That would have been so fun! Can't wait to see y'all when I'm home.

fragilewisdom said...

Bethany, there were a lot of interesting things to do and see there.

Chiang Guy, Time permitting the next time you get here we will fit it in.

Wizardress, We need to somehow fit in a day activity while you are here.