Sunday, August 12, 2012

Evening Walk

I took a walk in the park this evening. I took a few pictures that I think will turn out nicely.  It was pleasant and rather uneventful until I was coming home. It happened when I was just a few feet from my gate. I caught or sensed some movement up above me and looked up. I was just in time to see a hawk swoop down and sweep across the grass next to the sidewalk in front of me. Suddenly it was in the air again and flying away toward the park. I saw that it was carrying a small bird in it's talons. I walked forward and found a patch of loose grey and white feathers on the ground. The wind was already blowing them away.  I was amazed by the suddenness of it.

RW

4 comments:

BethanyC said...

What amazes me, is how much nature you have around you there in the big city.

fragilewisdom said...

It amazes me too Bethany. I remember one evening when I first moved here and was still living on campus. I saw an owl catch a rat. At the time I thought that the wild life was there because the city had not yet come back from Katrina. Now I believe that there is just a whole lot of wild life that lives in the city.

Fijufic said...

We have a lot of wildlife in our part of the city too....

KIT said...

The rustle of feathers in flight is one of my favorite sounds.